Vijayanagar Era Paintings Found At Sri Kalyanasundareswarar Temple, Nallur Temple While Renovation
  • Great service by our SPS and his Son

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Tiruchirapalli/vijayanagar-era-paintings-found-at-nallur-temple/article5041536.ece

Vijayanagar era paintings found at Nallur temple

- [image: Rare paintings found at Sri Kalyanasundareswarar temple at
    Nallur in Tiruvarur district.]
    Special Arrangement Rare paintings found at Sri Kalyanasundareswarar
    temple at Nallur in Tiruvarur district.
    - [image: Rare paintings found at Sri Kalyanasundareswarar temple at
    Nallur in Tiruvarur district.]
    Special Arrangement Rare paintings found at Sri Kalyanasundareswarar
    temple at Nallur in Tiruvarur district.

Kudavayil Balasubramanian, historian and epigraphist, studied them and
    concluded their historical authenticity

A clutch of rare paintings dating back to the Vijayanagar era were found at
    the sanctum sanctorum of Sri Kalyanasundareswarar Temple at Nallur in the
    district recently.

Sundar Bharadwaj and Shankar Bharadwaj, donors, who have taken up
    renovation of the temple, spotted the paintings.

The *Kumbabishekam* of the temple is slated to be taken up on August 30.

Kudavayil Balasubramanian, historian and epigraphist, studied the paintings
    and concluded their historical authenticity. Though many paintings adorn
    the walls of the sanctum sanctorum, except four all have faded.

�The paintings are that of Naradar playing a veena, an artiste holding a
    pair of cymbals, moon, and child skanda holding a lotus.

They are painted using natural colours and the background is of dark hue
    with colourful flowers and clouds,� Mr.Balasubramanian said.

The temple belonging to Thiruvavaduthurai Adheenam is one of the madakoils
    of Chola country and is located near the ancient city of Pazhayarai, the
    historical capital of the Cholas.

The temple finds a specific mention in the hagiography of saint
    Thirunavukarasar and Amarniti Nayanar and was renovated and reconsecrated
    by the Chola queen, Sembian Mahadevi.

http://www.poetryinstone.in
    �*Here the language of stone surpasses the language of man*� � Nobel
    laureate, Rabindranath Tagore
  • Great work by dos

Sundararajan
  • --- In ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com, Vijay wrote:
    >
    > Great service by our SPS and his Son
    >
    > http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Tiruchirapalli/vijayanagar-era-paintings-found-at-nallur-temple/article5041536.ece
    >
    >
    > Vijayanagar era paintings found at Nallur temple
    > The temple finds a specific mention in the hagiography of saint
    > Thirunavukarasar and Amarniti Nayanar and was renovated and reconsecrated
    > by the Chola queen, Sembian Mahadevi.
    ============

Dear Vijay, Arvind and friends,

Thanks for your encouragement.

there are certain interesting aspects :

when Thirunavukkarasar @ Appar - was tied to stone & put in sea (near mallai), put on lime-klein by chatting namachivaya .. he overcame all the difficulties (nattrunaiyavadhu nachivayame ).. and these are evidenced from Thiruneelakkudi padhigam !!

attained Trishool in his one hand !!

there he prayed for Lord siva's thiruvadi .. and he was told to come to Nallur !!

In nallur he hymns :

" Niramaindhumagi .. " - Turning to five colours .. !!
    " .. avvanname thalaimudi mel thiruvadi vaithan ... "
    as was directed, when worshipped at Nallur, Lord siva kept his Thiruvadi - Lotus Feet - over my head in Nallur " - appar.

This Sivapathasekaran reference is supposedly fore-runner to Parantaka I : Parantaka - bee at the Lotus feet of Purantaka and Sivapatha sekara - RRC .. I

In Thiruvalanchuzhi padhigam, Appar hymns ..valanchuzhi valam varuvar paadham en thalai mele " .. the feet of the adiyars who worship at Thiruvalanchuzhi are borne by my head !!

Why Siva chose to accord Thiruvadi Deekshai in Nallur ?

Dr. Kudavaoil Balau sir raised this interesting query and himself realised the reason just the day next to the subject paintaings were found inside the sanctum when the lime got peeled off... (with the grace of God !!).

When came out after inspecting the paintings ( i was in chennai - shankr was returning from nallur ) Dr. Kudavoil Sir was standing at the Temple entrance and it suddenly it dawned on him :

That Amarneedhi Nayanar ( movie thiruvilayadal Washerman - Nagesh performed so well !!) took the inner clothe of Sivanadiyar ( later turned to be Lord Siva himself !) and offered to wash whcih got torn off in gale and rain.. and Lord Siva WALKED on the very Street leading to Nallur Temple !!

Nallur Temple street is ONE OF THE RAREST OF THE RARE where LORD SIVA himself SET HIS FOOT on that soil !!

Very befitting that Appar was directed to come there to take thiruvadi Deekshai !!

Thrilled Dr. Kudavaoil Balu sir shared his Realisation with me over phone... and next night I was in the temple.. !!

Believe it, there was such a gale and heavy down pour - from 7 pm to 8 pm in Nallur streets that final Aadi velli !!

sps
  • SPS @ Sundar Sir,

I am at Udayalur house from 29th onwards, till Nallur Kumbabhishekam is over. Can you please ask the authorities to preserve it as it is? I will study and then bring in right materials for cleaning, later restoration by ASI guys from Tankore Big temple?

Thanks

Chandra

--- In ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com, <sps10142004@...> wrote:

--- In ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com, Vijay <vj.episteme@...> wrote:

>

> Great service by our SPS and his Son

>

> http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Tiruchirapalli/vijayanagar-era-paintings-found-at-nallur-temple/article5041536.ece

>

>

> Vijayanagar era paintings found at Nallur temple

> The temple finds a specific mention in the hagiography of saint

> Thirunavukarasar and Amarniti Nayanar and was renovated and reconsecrated

> by the Chola queen, Sembian Mahadevi.

============

Dear Vijay, Arvind and friends,

Thanks for your encouragement.

there are certain interesting aspects :

when Thirunavukkarasar @ Appar - was tied to stone & put in sea (near mallai), put on lime-klein by chatting namachivaya .. he overcame all the difficulties (nattrunaiyavadhu nachivayame ).. and these are evidenced from Thiruneelakkudi padhigam !!

From the mallai shore, he got up at Karaiyerikuppam @ thirupadhipuliyur and attained Trishool in his one hand !!

From Thiruchatrimutram (near pazhayarai) he attained Rishabam !!

there he prayed for Lord siva's thiruvadi .. and he was told to come to Nallur !!

In nallur he hymns :

" Niramaindhumagi .. " - Turning to five colours .. !!

" .. avvanname thalaimudi mel thiruvadi vaithan ... "

as was directed, when worshipped at Nallur, Lord siva kept his Thiruvadi - Lotus Feet - over my head in Nallur " - appar.

This Sivapathasekaran reference is supposedly fore-runner to Parantaka I : Parantaka - bee at the Lotus feet of Purantaka and Sivapatha sekara - RRC .. I

In Thiruvalanchuzhi padhigam, Appar hymns ..valanchuzhi valam varuvar paadham en thalai mele " .. the feet of the adiyars who worship at Thiruvalanchuzhi are borne by my head !!

Why Siva chose to accord Thiruvadi Deekshai in Nallur ?

Dr. Kudavaoil Balau sir raised this interesting query and himself realised the reason just the day next to the subject paintaings were found inside the sanctum when the lime got peeled off... (with the grace of God !!).

When came out after inspecting the paintings ( i was in chennai - shankr was returning from nallur ) Dr. Kudavoil Sir was standing at the Temple entrance and it suddenly it dawned on him :

That Amarneedhi Nayanar ( movie thiruvilayadal Washerman - Nagesh performed so well !!) took the inner clothe of Sivanadiyar ( later turned to be Lord Siva himself !) and offered to wash whcih got torn off in gale and rain.. and Lord Siva WALKED on the very Street leading to Nallur Temple !!

Nallur Temple street is ONE OF THE RAREST OF THE RARE where LORD SIVA himself SET HIS FOOT on that soil !!

Very befitting that Appar was directed to come there to take thiruvadi Deekshai !!

Thrilled Dr. Kudavaoil Balu sir shared his Realisation with me over phone... and next night I was in the temple.. !!

Believe it, there was such a gale and heavy down pour - from 7 pm to 8 pm in Nallur streets that final Aadi velli !!

sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters