Hindu names in Cambodian Royalty
  • Agree with which is older. But, my point is – we cannot conclude origin based on names alone.

South Eastern Asian countries were quite strongly influenced in religious thoughts that came from the greater India, no doubt about it. As I understand history, Buddhist monks were organized and were supported by the Royalty very early to spread the good word of the Lord (Buddha). I don’t believe similar effort was launched by Hindu religious leaders in 250 BC, the time of Ashoka.

No doubt Buddha was born a Hindu, but preached a philosophy which was far different from Hinduism of his time. It may not be accurate to characterize Buddhism as derived from Hinduism. Perhaps it is more correct to say Hinduism adopted many parts of Buddhism in later years, some 500 – 700 years later is my estimate. Possibly Buddhism was influenced by Hinduism as well in later years – evidence stares boldly at you as one goes from Cave 1 to Cave 16/17 at Ellora.

I am not arguing which is superior or older or richer, but simply historical facts as I understand them.

I remain to be enlightened on this, Raj Mutharasan
  • Please check the below link for the article in HIndu about Angkor Wat and
    its Indian connections. This might give some more informations:

http://www.hindu.com/mag/2009/03/29/stories/2009032950240800.htm
  • "Hinduism" is a catch-all term - a wide net into which all sorts of
    practices and beliefs can be clumped. Historically the more accurate term
    to describe the dominant, elite institutionally supported belief system
    would be Brahmanism. As for origins and so on, consider a more historically
    accurate approach - religious systems get elaborately institutionalized in
    the context of state formation. Early monarchic states grew around
    Brahmanical sacrificial religion; the Sramanis systems developed in
    response not only ideologically but also politically - they were popular
    among the tribal republics (janapadas) that were being violently
    incorporated into a monarchic order. Later however, Buddhism (and Jainism)
    became much more elaborately institutionalized precisely in the context of
    complex states that were growing in power and reach, and the need of course
    to justify social orders centered on wealth extraction.

Raja
  • reposting message : 48844 :

sps wrote in Jan 2012 :

Re: Ancient Religion :: Hinduism

I recall of a query from respected member Deepa Baskar in response to the mail below ( Dec 2009 ) and I did not reply since my reference books were elsewhere for almost 2 years. i am also obliged to furnish this reference our dear GRS (intellisurfer).

Though belated, I would like to bring out that reference now :

DEIVATHIN KURAL (Tamil) : PART I :: VANATHI :: 1976 ( X Edn: 1994) :

Compilation from the Speeches / Writings of Mahaswamigal :

Page : 162 - 175 : / Edited / essential details translated /

quote ::

WHAT WE now call Hindu religion NOW did not have any name in the beginning. This name is given by those unrelated to us. Since others need to cross Sind river they related the land as India and religion as Hindu...

will quote an ancient Bhairaghi song : " Ille Po Po kahe Tlungi "
    No alms - move away move away - says Telugu (speaking) person !!
    Actually Ille - Po are TAMIL words but Northern Biaraghis mistake this also being Telugu speaking land !! Likewise - All the lands - even beyond the vicinity of Sind and the culture / religion was named as HINDU.

But Hindu is not OUR ancient / traditional name !

Vaidhika religion / Sanadhana Darmam - are they the names ? No.

Some one says : Ramu has come !! We ask : Which Ramu ? Fair Ramu ? Short Ramu ? like wise to get clarified. If there is only one Ramu - such clarification is NOT needed.

The necessity to distinguish ONE from Several Others arise - only when there are SEVERAL others. When there is ONLY ONE such necessity does not arise.

Buddham was established by Gauthama, the Buddha. so named after him.

Christianity was established by Jesus Christ. Thus named.

Okay.. If this Hindu religion is AADHI (first) then who established ?

Not by Vysar who gave Brahmasutram. Not by Lord Krishna who gave us Bagavath Gita. Not by those Rishis who compiled Vedas. They say We have not Composed Vedas. We are Mantra Rastas .. not Mantra Karthas.

So we can take pride that the origin is from the Breathe of this Universe .. and thus NAMELESS in the Beginning and subsequently (when other religions were established) they adopted respective names and so a ncessity arose to name OURS too and thus Hinduism "

/ edited to points :: page 168 /

Swamiji goes on to write quoting an excavation from Egypt : Mithra Varuna Sakshi :: with are Hindu references. Baron Humboidt quoted in Her Bias Sarada's Hindu Superiority : In Mexico during Navarathri time a festival of RAMA - SITA is conducted.

And Hidnu icons found during excavations. Ancient Tribes of Spain :
    Aztecs (astiga). In Peru Surya pooja performed during Vishu. Can we draw reference between Incas and Inakulathilagan Raman ?

Native Tribes of Central Australia by Spencer / Gillon Photos in Pages 128 / 129 : Siva Dance. When scrutinised closely - a THIRD EYE is drawn on their faces !!

" Yupa Inscription of Mulavarman of Koeti " was found in Borneo / Virgin Forests.

Mahaswami was thinking aloud further :: We are aware of the Sagara / Horse Yagam. to reach Kabila maharishi - sagaras went on digging the earth and when found their Horse nearby they suspected Kabilar - who burnt them with his vision itself. In the Global Map - if America is taken as Paadhalam (bottom line) - the Kabilaranyam might have been Kalibaranyam (like Madurai becomes Maruthai - colloqueally ). The Horse Island and Ash Island nearby encourage such thought.

there are more of such interesting details... related to Hebrew Adam / Eve story and Upanishad story : one bird ate a fruit in Pillapam free. other did not... Pippalam = apple. This Tree was called Tree of knowledge in Hewbrew.

Buddha acquired Gnanam under a Banian Tree of Knowledge Bodhi.

There are several such references
    in the East / Far East too..

sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters