Chola Descendancy- reg
  •  
    Dear Kalingarayar

Thanks for your informatoin sharing on living chola descendancy. Based on the earlier chola copper plates as well as anbil plates of Sundara Chola, There existed three to four branches of chozhar paramabarai. One Uraiyur Cholas, Musukunda cholas( Kodumbalur Velir clan), Pazhayarai Cholas, Eastern Cholas ( Poombuhar Branch), It is extremely difficult to even trace the DNA distribution in the present polpulation as the these princly communities have throughly absorbed in some of the present Day communities (Maravars,Kallars,Vellalars and Vanniyars and Udayar communities and Reddies, Gowdas of Karnataka and andhra Pradesh ) 

Regards 

GSK

• "these princly communities have throughly absorbed in some of the present Day communities"

hmm.. I was thinking along the same lines but from a totally opposite view... These tamil princely families even though they are classified under popular communities at present (which in my view is little inappropriate) do not intermarry easily with their fellow caste members, atleast till last generation.

So they would have a higher genetic affinity or similarity within themselves as a group vis a vis with their fellow community members! Just thinking aloud here..

Karthik Kalingarayar
  • Back ground: The Kings had multiple wifes and children and within 4 - 5 generations, there would be around 100 Royal members.

In India and Sanatana Dharma ( Please excuse me for making this reference on religion and caste as it is required here to explain this process) marrying within 5 generations both from Father's sister side and Mother's brother side. And marrying in Father's brother side even after "n" number of generations. ( Gothra system) ( The Atthai Ponnu - Mama Paiayan marraiges were all started in south after 1000C and it isnot permitted in North till date)

Majority of the Kings were either Soorya Vamsis or Chandra Vamsis and we need to check whether - Soorya - Soorya marriage was allowed or it was Soorya - Chandra marraiage.

The Royal House holds of Chola, Athiyaman and Malayaman were very much respected even when they were ruling a small territory. The Bigger Pallava and Pandya Kings had to either get married or give daughter's to these clans. The Cheras and Chalukyas were the other Royal families from whichalliances were made. I don't thonk such marriages had to happen only because of military reason but more to adhere to Sastras.

Mangayarkkarasi was a Chola princess and The Grandmother of Adhiya King Gunaseela who built Namakkal cave was a Pallava princess. RRC's mother was a Malayaman Princess. The Nolambas, Banas, Telugu Cholas, Mutharayars were also minor royal families and again had alliances with Royal families.

g 5 generations ( with the only exception of being in different Gothra) started happening across all communities including Royal houses. Hence the necessity for minor Royal families and their imporatance started shrinking.

Hence it is possible that a vanquished royal family or a branch line of main family ( Like Aditya Karikalan family, Uthama CholansFamily ) will slowly get diluted with no chance of their Sons becoming Royals or their daughter becoming queens of other Royal house holds. The necessity to maintain pure clan was not necessary once the marriages within 5 generations started.

Hence it is possible that the Royal house holds slowly becomes Generals, ( as mentioned in Rajadhiraja's inscriptios) and then Zamins and finally getmerged with otherlocal communities.

In The Last Mugal Novel there is a mention that the decendents of Akbar ( Obviously the Non Jehangir decendendants) numbering around 5000 were living in huts in Red fort area.That was the case after about 8-9 generations.
  • Dear ShankarnarayanVery nicely desribedKRSri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson
    To: [email protected]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters