Food for thought.................
  • US govt gives X-tra grants to universities running Sanskrit Courses.

Sanskrit As A Language Of Science
    There is a misconception that Sanskrit language is only a language for
    chanting mantras in temples or religious ceremonies. That, actually, is less
    than 5% of the Sanskrit literature, more than 95% of which has nothing to do
    with religion...
    Markandey Katju
    Full text of the speech delivered by Justice
    Markandey Katju, Judge, Supreme Court of India on 13.10.2009 in the Indian
    Institute of Science Bangalore

It is a great honour for me to be invited to speak in the Indian
    Institute of Science, Bangalore, which is renowned as one of the foremost
    scientific institutes in India, and which indeed is recognized as a great
    centre of science throughout the world. Your institute has produced great
    scientists of international repute.
    The topic which I have chosen to speak on today is `Sanskrit as a
    language of Science'. I have chosen this topic for two reasons:
    1. You are yourselves scientists, and hence would naturally like
    to know about your scientific heritage and the great scientific achievements of
    your ancestors.
    2. Today India is facing huge problems, and, in my opinion, these
    can only be solved by science.
    We have to spread the scientific outlook to every nook and corner
    of our country, if we are to progress. And by science I mean not just physics,
    chemistry and biology but the entire scientific outlook. We must develop the
    rational and questioning attitude in our people, and abolish superstitions and
    empty rituals.

The foundation of India culture is based on the Sanskrit language. There is a
    misconception about the Sanskrit language that it is only a language for
    chanting mantras in temples or religious ceremonies. However, that is less than
    5% of the Sanskrit literature. More than 95% of the Sanskrit literature has
    nothing to do with religion, and instead it deals with philosophy, law,
    science, literature, grammar, phonetics, interpretation etc. In fact, Sanskrit
    was the language of free thinkers, who questioned everything, and expressed the
    widest spectrum of thoughts on various subjects. In particular, Sanskrit was
    the language of our scientists in ancient India. Today, no doubt, we are behind
    the Western countries in science, but there was a time when India was leading
    the whole world in science. Knowledge of the great scientific achievements of
    our ancestors and our scientific heritage will give us the encouragement and
    moral strength to once again take India to the forefront of science in the
    modern world.

The word `Sanskrit' means “prepared, pure, refined or prefect”. It was not for
    nothing that it was called the `devavani' (language of the Gods). It has an
    outstanding place in our culture and indeed was recognized as a language of
    rare sublimity by the whole world. Sanskrit was the language of our
    philosophers, our scientists, our mathematicians, our poets and playwrights,
    our grammarians, our jurists, etc. In grammar, Panini and Patanjali (authors of Ashtadhyayi and the Mahabhashya) have no equals in the world; in
    astronomy and mathematics the works of Aryabhatta, Brahmagupta and Bhaskar
    opened up new frontiers for mankind, as did the works of Charak and Sushrut in
    medicine.
    In philosophy Gautam (founder of the Nyaya system), Ashvaghosha
    (author of Buddha Charita), Kapila (founder of the Sankhya system),
    Shankaracharya, Brihaspati, etc., present the widest range of philosophical
    systems the world has ever seen, from deeply religious to strongly atheistic.
    Jaimini's Mimansa Sutras laid the foundation of a whole system of
    rational interpretation of texts which was used not only in religion but also
    in law, philosophy, grammar, etc. In literature, the contribution of Sanskrit
    is of the foremost order. The works of Kalidas (Shakuntala, Meghdoot, Malavikagnimitra, etc.), Bhavabhuti (Malti Madhav, Uttar
    Ramcharit, etc.) and the epics of Valmiki, Vyas, etc. are known all over
    the world. These and countless other Sanskrit works kept the light of learning
    ablaze in our country upto modern times.

In this talk I am confining myself to only that part of Sanskrit literature
    which is related to science.

As already stated above, there is a great misconception about Sanskrit that it
    is only a language to be recited as mantras in temples or in religious
    ceremonies. However, that is only 5% of the Sanskrit literature. The remaining
    95% has nothing to do with religion. In particular, Sanskrit was the language
    in which all our great scientists in ancient India wrote their works.

Before proceeding further, I may take a digression from the topic under
    discussion. In fact, I will be taking several digressions during the course of
    this talk, and initially you may think that this digression has nothing to do
    with the subject under discussion, viz. Sanskrit as a language of science, but
    at the end of the digression you will realize its intimate connection with the
    subject.

The first digression is to ask: What is India ? Although we are all
    Indians, many of us do not know our own country and hence I will explain.
    India is broadly a country of immigrants.

While North America (USA and Canada) is a country of new immigrants, who came
    mainly from Europe over the last four or five centuries, India is a country of
    old immigrants in which people came over the last ten thousand years or so. Probably
    about 95 % people living in India today are descendants of immigrants who came
    mainly from the North-West and to a lesser extent from the North-East. Since
    this is a point of great importance for the understanding of our country, it is
    necessary to go into it in some detail (for further details see my article Kalidas
    Ghalib Academy).
    People migrate from uncomfortable areas to comfortable areas. This
    is natural because everyone wants to live in comfort. Before the coming of
    modern industry there were agricultural societies everywhere and India was a
    paradise for these because agriculture requires level land, fertile soil,
    plenty of water for irrigation, temperate climate etc. which was in abundance
    in India. Why should anybody living in India migrate to, say, Afghanistan which
    has a harsh terrain, rocky and mountainous and covered with snow for several
    months in a year when one cannot grow any crop? Hence, almost all immigrations
    and invasions came from outside into India (except those Indians who were sent
    out during British rule as indentured labour, and the recent migration of a few
    million Indians to the developed countries for job opportunities). There is
    perhaps not a single instance of an invasion from India to outside India.

India was a veritable paradise for agricultural societies because it has level
    & fertile land, hundreds of rivers, forests etc. and is rich in natural
    resources. Hence for thousands of years people kept pouring into India because
    they found a comfortable life here in a country which was gifted by nature.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters