Few notes on Adi Shankara
  • Response and a special note
  • Dear Sir

It is not only in Tholkappiyam; but also in Thirukkural, Thiruvalluvar clearly says
    that "Andanar Enbor Aravor ... ". It is clearly established that the period of Thiruvalluvar is about 2000 years ago. Does this not mean that Andanar is a part and parcel of the
    Tamil community during the period of Tiruvalluvar.

According to me, Brahmins came to South India along with Parasuram during the Vedic period.

"Yajaman" is one of the oldest Tamil world and it simply means a "Village Head" who organize the "Yajnam" and encouorages Brahmins to conduct "Yajnam" in his village.

When Aryan invasion itself is under question, and if Indus Valley Civilization is of Dravindian, I strongly feel that the populations consists of Brahmins also.

Moreover, the word Arya does not mean to be a race at all and the word Dravidian meaning a
    race never occurred in Vedas even once.

The race division on the basis of Aryans and Dravidian is of western mind to divide and rule India.

The word "Arya" in Sanskrit simply means "Noble" or like "Ariya" - in Tamil language meaning "rare" and if this word is used in the context of "knowledge" it is gives, the direct meaning as "noble", "sacred" "to be acquired with great difficulty" etc.

I am not a learned scholar on these subjects; but only an enthusiast; and may be corrected and these are my personal views.

With regards
    S Subramanian
  • Good questions Shankar.

I too dont understand how people say Saiva siddhantham and vedic dharma are
    different. Almost ever pasuram of thevaram refers Shiva to 4 vedas and 6
    angams (shat angam - shatangam - satangu in tamil)

Lets hope we get some answers atleast to your questions :)
  • Dear
    It was informed that Thirumoolar, who is bramin came from Kashmir before very long period
  • I am sharing some of my earlier post on this subject

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ponniyinselvan/message/41288

I have dealt this on the Thirumurai Koorum Vedam and Velvi series ( I have to write one more to complete it)
  • Dear Dr.Laxman,

Legends are abundant about Thirumular. He is supposed to have lived for 1000 years. He was practising Levitation, and move along the Himalayas. Put aside all this rubbish. His scholarsip is immence.

He is of the view tht Smaskrutha and Tamil have had a simutaneous growt, exchanging ideas between each other and influencing each other. His style of Tamil makes one think that he belongs to Post Sangam period.

Kothand
  • An interesting article on the period of Adi Sankara...well articulated..

http://www.tamilhindu.com/2010/12/dating-adi-sankara-history-a-view/
  • There are counter views also. Debate is going on in Tamil hindu.

One argument is Mandana Misrar and Suresvaracharyar are the one and the same.
  • Some interesting points in the ongoing debate in Tamil Hindu.

You may go through this and understand something about the so called anarchism!!

One Mr Kumar's view.

P.N.Kumar
    17 December 2010 at 11:08 pm

அடியேன் கீழிடும் இந்தக்கட்டுரை ஆதிசங்கரரின் காலம் குறித்த
    வாதுநோக்கிலன்றி, பண்டைத் தமிழ்நூல்களில் அத்துவிதம் (வேதாந்தம் என்றே
    குறிக்கப்பட்டது) குறித்த சான்றுகளைத் திரட்டியிடும் நோக்கிலே என்று கொள்க.
    திருமுருகாற்றுப்படையின் இறுதிப்பாடலில் (1) ‘உலகத்தொரு நீயாகத்

தோன்ற விழுமிய’ என்ற வரியே அத்வைதத்தைச் சுட்டுவது.
    அதுபோன்றே மதுரைக்காஞ்சியில் ‘ஒருதாம் ஆகி’ என்பதும்.

‘சிறந்த வேதம் விளங்கப் பாடி

விழுச்சீர் எய்திய ஒழுக்கமொடு புணர்ந்து

நிலமமர் வையத்து ஒருதாம் ஆகி

உயர்நிலை உலகம் இவண்நின்று எய்தும்

அறநெறி பிழையா அன்புடை நெஞ்சின்

பெரியோர் மேஎய் இனிதின் உறையும்

குன்று குயின்றன்ன அந்தணர் பள்ளியும் ..’(2)
    மேலும் சைவசித்தாந்த ஞானஊற்றான திருமந்திரத்தில் (அகத்தியர், திருமூலர்,
    காலங்கி, போகர் என்ற பல நூலாதாரங்களுடன் குருபரம்பரை இருப்பதால் திருமூலர்
    காலம் குறித்து விரிவாய்ப் பின்னர் எழுதுகிறேன்) பல

பாடல்கள் ஐயந்திரிபற இந்த உண்மையை விளக்குகின்றன.

குறிப்பாய்ச் சில பாடல்களைப் பார்ப்போம்:
    ‘வேதாந்தம் கண்டோர் பிரமமித்யாதரர்’ (3) என்றே வேதாந்திகளைச்

சுட்டுகிறார் திருமூலர். மித்யை என்பது ஆதிசங்கரரின் கடவுச்சொல்.
    மேலும், வேதாந்தமும், மாயாவாதமும், வைணவமும் வேறானவை என்பதைச் சுட்ட வரும் பாடல் (4) இது:

ஆகின்ற தொண்ணூறொடு ஆறும் பொது என்பர்

ஆகின்ற ஆறறாரும் சைவர் தத்துவம்

ஆகின்ற நாலேழ் வேதாந்தி வயிணவர்க்கு

ஆகின்ற நாலாறை ஐயைந்து மாயாவாதிக்கே.
    இங்கே சைவ, சாக்த / ஸ்ரீவித்யா சம்பிரதாயங்களில் 36 அகத்தத்துவங்கள்

உண்டு.
    வேதாந்திகளுக்கு 28; நிரீஸ்வரவாதிகளான சாங்கியர்,

மாயாவாதிகளுக்கு 25; வைணவர்களுக்கு 24 என்று தெளிவாகச் சுட்டப்படுகிறது.
    அத்வைதிகளை மாயாவாதிகள் என்று புறந்தள்ளும் கொடுமை கிட்டத்தட்ட ஆயிரம்
    ஆண்டுகளாக நடந்து வருகிறது. இங்கே வேதாந்தம் வேறு, மாயாவாதம் வேறு என்றும்
    இந்தப்பாடலிருந்து தெளிவாக விளங்கிக் கொள்ளலாம்.
    தென்திருமுல்லைவாயில் பதிகத்தில் (5) திருஞானசம்பந்தர் இருபத்தைந்து

தத்துவங்கள்தான் உள்ளன என்ற கருத்தில் சிக்கியிருப்போர்க்குச்
    சிவப்பரம்பொருள் அறிதற்கரியது என்கிறார். அப்பரும் ‘அய்யைந்தின்
    அப்புறத்தானும் ஆரூர் அமர்ந்த அம்மானே’ (6) என்பது காண்க.
    இவர்கள் வேதாந்தத்தை முழுமையாய் ஏற்றுக் கொண்டவர்கள். ‘அருமாமறை
    விரித்தான்’ (7), ‘வேத வேதாந்தன்’ (8), ‘வேதாந்தம் பன்னு நுண்பொருள்
    பயந்தவன்’ (9) என்று திருமுறையிலேயே பல பாடல்களைச் சுட்டலாம்.
    முக்கியமாய் மேலும் ஒரு சான்று:

தேவாரசாரமெனத் தம் தந்தையார் எளிதில் ஓதும் வண்ணம் திருஎழுகூற்றிருக்கை
    (10) என்ற பாடலைப் பாடுகிறார் சம்பந்தர். அப்பாடலை இப்படி முடிக்கிறார்:

‘இருமையின் ஒருமையும்

ஒருமையின் பெருமையும்

மறுவிலா மறையோர்

கழுமல முதுபதிக்

கவுணியன் கட்டுரை

கழுமல முதுபதிக்

கவுணியன் அறியும்

அனைய தன்மையை

ஆதலின் நின்னை

நினைய வல்லவர்

இல்லை நீள் நிலத்தே!’
    ஆக தேவாரசாரமென்று ஞானசம்பந்தப் பெருமானார் பாடுவது இருமையின்

ஒருமையையும், ஒருமையின் பெருமையையுமே.
    மேலும் அத்வைதத்தை மாணிக்கவாசகர் கடுமையாகப் பாடி விமர்சித்தார் என்று
    புரியாதோர் அடிக்கடி சுட்டும், போற்றித் திருஅகவல் பாடலும் (11)

- ‘மிண்டிய மாயாவாதம் என்னும் சண்டமாருதம் சுழித்தடித்து ஆர்த்து’ -

வேதாந்தமான அத்வைதத்தைத் தாக்க வந்ததன்று என்றும் இதன் மூலம் தெளியலாம்.
    வேதாந்தம் என்பது

பற்றற்றானைப் பற்றி அப்பற்றும் இறுதியில் விடச் சொல்லும் நெறியென்றும், பற்றற்றானையே மறுத்து பற்றவே சொல்லாத மாயாவாதமும்,

பற்றிக் கொண்டே இருக்கச் சொல்லும் வைணவமும்

இல்லையென்றும் பார்த்தோம்.
    மேலும் வைணவம் என்பது வேதாந்தம் இல்லையென்றும், அது அறுசமயங்களில் ஒன்றே என்றும் வைணவ பக்தி இலக்கியங்களிலிருந்தும் தெளியலாம்.
    இருபத்துநான்கு தத்துவங்களே வைணவம் என்று திருமூலர் மட்டும் பாடவில்லை.
    திவ்யப்பிரபந்தத்திலும் அப்படியே சொல்லப் பட்டிருக்கிறது. திருக்கச்சிநம்பி
    அவர்களின் இரண்டு பாடல்களைப் பார்ப்போம்:

ஐந்தும் ஐந்தும் ஐந்துமாகி அல்லவற்றுளாயுமாய்

ஐந்தும் மூன்றும் ஒன்றுமாகி நின்ற ஆதிதேவனே’ (12)

‘எட்டும் எட்டும் எட்டுமாய்.. நின்ற ஆதி தேவனை’ (13)
    ஆக வேதாந்தம் என்பது அத்வைதமே என்பது பண்டுதொட்ட புரிதல் என்பதுஇதன்மூலம் தெளியலாம்.
    மேலும் அத்வைத வேதாந்தமே சைவசித்தாந்தத்தின் வேர் என்று திருமூலர் முதல் குமரகுருபரர் வரை பலரும் பாடியுள்ளனர்.
    ‘மன்னிய சோகமா மாமறை யாளர்தஞ்

சென்னியதான சிவயோகமாம் ஈதென்ன

அன்னது சித்தாந்த மாமறை யாய்பொருள்

துன்னிய ஆகம நூலெனத் தோன்றுமே’ (14)
    இங்கே ஸோஹம் (அதுவே நான்) என்ற மந்திரத்தின் மூலம் மூச்சடக்கி

சிவயோகம் செய்வோரே வேதாந்தியர் என்றும் அதுவே சித்தாந்தத்தின் அடிப்படையென்றும், ஆகமங்கள் தோன்றியதும் இந்த உண்மையை

விளக்கவே என்றும் திருமூலர் தெருட்டுகிறார்.
    வேதாந்த மஹாவாக்கியத்தையே நேராய்ச் சுட்டும் பாடலிது:

நீயதுவானாய் என் நின்ற பேருரை

ஆயது நானானேன் என்னச் சமைந்தறச்

சேய சிவமாக்கும் சீர்நந்தி பேரருள்

ஆயது வாயனந் தானந்தி யாகுமே! (15)
    அன்புடன்,

ஜாவா குமார்
    சான்றுகள் சுட்டப்பட்ட மூலநூல்கள்:

1. திருமுருகாற்றுப்படை - பழமுதிர்ச்சோலை - 294

2.மதுரைக்காஞ்சி - 468-474

3. திருமந்திரம் - தந்திரம் 5-1435

4. திருமந்திரம் - தந்திரம் 8-2179

5. திருமுறை - திருஞானசம்பந்தர் தேவாரம் - 2-224-4

6. திருமுறை - திருநாவுக்கரசர் தேவாரம் - 4-4-10

7. திருமுறை - திருஞானசம்பந்தர் தேவாரம் - 1-104-1

8. திருமுறை - திருஞானசம்பந்தர் தேவாரம் - 3-293-4

9. திருமுறை - திருஞானசம்பந்தர் தேவாரம் - 2-238-1

10. திருமுறை - திருஞானசம்பந்தர் தேவாரம் -

11. திருமுறை - மாணிக்கவாசகர் திருவாசகம் - போற்றித் திருவகவல்

பாடல் 54/55

12. நாலாயிரத் திவ்யப்பிரபந்தம் - பாடல் - 753

13. நாலாயிரத் திவ்யப்பிரபந்தம் - பாடல் - 828

14. திருமந்திரம் - தந்திரம் 8-2403

15. திருமந்திரம் - தந்திரம் 8-2577

To add to Mr Kuamr's article i quote another Thirumandiram song describing Advaitha.

திருமூலர் அத்வைதத்தைப் பற்றிப் படிய இன்னொரு பாடல்

மரத்தில் மறைந்தது மாமத யானை
    மரத்தை மறைத்தது மாமத யானை
    பரத்தை மறைத்தது பார் முதல் பூதம்
    பரத்துள் மறைந்தது பார் முதல் பூதம்

Many donot understand the difference between Advaitha, Dvaitha, Visihitadvaida, Saiva Siddandha, Vallabha Siddantha and Saivam, Vasihnavam, Saktham etc.

You can be advaithin and Vasihnava simultaneouly.
  • Dear ankar.
    remember having read in my 9th standard English text book a story about an Anarchlst trying to mix a bacterial Additive thatcan poison the Water supply to the city

Later In cllege days I camd to know tha Anarchists movement was active in zar's Russia and some parts of central europe.

If I have ttime i shall brouse over the Article.

VKR
  • Dear Sir

You are yet to post answers to questions raised on your earlier post.

Please close them first.
  • 1. "Rituals are the symbols we use to mold our experiences" – Miriam Ben-Haim (psychologist). It is a fashion to phoo-phoo rituals in temples or everyday life. Abstract thinking is not an easy task for most of us to do all the time, concrete actions become an easy way to conduct our everyday life. It is ignorant to dismiss rituals, because it shows the shallow understanding of human behavior.

2. Prof S.K.Ramachandra Rao has said "Historically, Buddhism had lost its vigor a couple of centuries before the emergence of Sankara, and had already moved into the Himalayan neighborhood. The battle that Sankara was obliged to fight against Buddhist schools was purely metaphysical and doctrinal, and not religious. And Buddhism (mahayana) itself had moved closer to the Upanishads (which in fact was the source form which Buddhims took shape), and the chasm that yawned between Buddhism and Vedanta was indeed narrow and negligible".

GRS
  • Yajamaana in Sanskrit means "one who performs the sacrifice". So did the word come from Sanskrit or from Tamil?

GRS
  • Looks like interesting discussions. Sadly naan ambuttu tamizh padikarathukulae Kaliyugamae moodinjnupoyidum.

Prof. S.K.Ramachandra Rao settles down between 650AD-840AD. His arguments are:
    1. Sankara is later than Dinnaga. Dinnaga has been dated about 480AD.
    2. Sankara and Suresvara both quote Dharmakriti. Dharmakriti is roughly dated around 650AD. This date is arrived by judging evidence and lack of evidence between the reports of Hieun-tsang and I-ting - both Chinese traveler who visited in 637-638AD (Hieun-tsang) and 671-695AD (I-tsing).
    3. Vidyananda-Patakesarin around 800AD mentions several thinkers of the period, but does not mention Sankara. So again, lack of mentioning name is considered as an evidence. Some people will disagree with this sort of arguments. Absence of evidence is no evidence for absence so goes a powerful argument.

GRS
  • The intresting issue here is both sides have and dont have much details.

But there was no necessity for Sankara in 760 AD as already Appar, Sambandar have cleared TN. Golden age of Guptas in place. Chalukyas were also patrons of Sanatana dharma except Harsh. But harsh was also very tolerant even though he was a Bhudhist.
  • DIFFERNCES BETWEEN SAIVAM AND VEDAM:

dear friends,
    1.saiva siddhantham is in its core " subjective realism" and vedic religions are " objective idealism.
    2. epistemologically saivam is closer to rationalism and vedism to empiricism.
    3. saivam is ontocentric and vedism is cosmocentric.
    4.saivam considers agama as their origin and vedism the upanisads.
    5.saivam thinks maya is inside and vedism says maya is external
    6. saivam says god "manifests" inside man and vedism says god "is" man.
    7. actions are central to saivam and rituals are importance to vedism.
    8.temple is important in saivam and fire takes its position in vedism.
    10.saiva siddhantham is considered by some as dravidian and vedism is so by a few as aryan in origin.

iam thankful to everyone for asking these certain seminal questions. while the differences are only these few, the similarities are superfluous and abundance. any mistakes in my views may be kindly forgiven.

GANDHI
    CHIDAMBARAM
  • There is a genuine misunderstanding on Saiva Siddantam.

The Saiva Mutts have categorically clarified many times on this but still this opinion is spred by the scholars.

I want to point out my differences here. But please consider them not as an argument but just a counter point.

Thayumanavar clearly mentions that Saiva Siddanta is Sivadvaida.
    -

DIFFERNCES BETWEEN SAIVAM AND VEDAM:

1.saiva siddhantham is in its core " subjective realism" and vedic religions are " objective idealism.First of all it is not right to think that Saiva Siddantam is different from Vedas. Vedas have clearly differentiated the realisitic part with Karmakandam and Idealistic by Upanishads.In fact saiva Siddanta also clearly says that that is rooted in some upanishad. I remember Gandhi sir quoting this earlier. Forgot which upanishad.

2. epistemologically saivam is closer to rationalism and vedism to empiricism.Saivam has its own set of Miracles.
    3. saivam is ontocentric and vedism is cosmocentric.I could not understand this.

4.saivam considers agama as their origin and vedism the upanisads.And to add that Agamas consider Vedas as their origin. To simplify my point - the Vaishnava Vadakalais follow Vaiganasa Agamas and Thenkalais the Pancharatra Agamas. That dose not mean they are against Vedas.Agamas are simply procedural manuals.

5.saivam thinks maya is inside and vedism says maya is externalAdisankara clearly states Maya is internal. Thirumular explains this as " Marathil maraindadu Mamadha yanai, Marathai marathithu Mamada yanai"

6. saivam says god "manifests" inside man and vedism says god "is" man.On the contrary this theory is in vedas also. Dwaida philosophy also deawas the same from vedas.
    7. actions are central to saivam and rituals are importance to vedism.There are many rituals in saiva and the agamas are the guide books for the rituals. There are rituals right from temple installation to Pujas to deeparadhanis.

8.temple is important in saivam and fire takes its position in vedism.Temples are importatnt to vashnavism, Saktham etc also. That is why Adisankara who propagated Adavita for the practicality developed the six sub religions and composed many stotras on all the six.

10.saiva siddhantham is considered by some as dravidian and vedism is so by a few as aryan in origin.

Our members will say the Adigurus of Saiva Siddanta are from Bengal. They will also quote that the so called Agamic temples were running many veda patasalas in them. They will quote many epigraphs like Ennayiram, Thriubhuvanai, Bahur, Mukkoodal etc.
  • thank you friend,

i also would like to think so as you have put it. let me add some points. this is not an argument but a synthesis. we all shall put our views and try to clear the problem in parallel thinking.

1.thayumanavar and vallalar are excluded from the list of saiva siddhanthists. they are called reformist saivites. some people would put even barathiyar in this reformist list.

2. the upanisads siva has been quoted first is svetaswara upanisads. but it is a later(or chronologically middle) upanisad.

3. agamas also have a gnana kandam. this part deals with the metaphysical aspects of agamas.this part do not deal with saiyai and kiyai.

4. rationalism means here the rationalism dealt by decartes, leibniz and espinoza. not the EVR brand rationalism. rationalists need not be atheists.

5. ontology and cosmology are the two core issues in metaphysics and considered to the irreducible areas of human thought and perceptions.academic philosophy deals with this. these words make the discussions shorter.

6. agams are found in buddhism and jainism not just with saivam and vedism. siva agamas and vaisnava agamas are divided. there are upa-agamas also (260). ashtapraharans are derived from the gnana kanda of agamas and are now available in tamil also(courtesy thiru-avadu-thurai-mutt)

7. true dualism opposes this oneness of man and god. in this very issue saivam and vedism differs more.

8. saiva agama scholars say the temple culture was borrowed from the agamic religion and icorporated into vedic religion. adhisankara is one important person who amalgamated these to make hinduism stronger.

9.true.vedic seers do acknowledge this siddhantha vedantha dichotomy. there were strong saivite phase in upper india. in fact kings like kanishka(though a buddhist- he also issues coins on siva and kumara deva), kumara gupta and skanda gupta were saivite leaning kings. saivism and agamism became extinct in northen india after 11th century or so. ashtapraharanam are the only surviving ones. one of its author is sathyajyothi's work was influential to "meykandar of sivagnanabodham".

10.saivam had its northern cousins but they all dissapeared over time. only it survives in tamilnadu, karnataka,kashere and gujarat. each have developed their own metamorphosis and are unrecognisably different now.

well these are a philosophical and historical issues. we need lot of readings in these. i get most of my informations from [email protected] my guru are thiru ganesalingam of australia and thiru loganathan of malysia. i do buy lot of books published by the saiva mutts of cholamandalam(very low priced).

gandhi
    chidambaram

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters