Thillana Mohana.......Koththamaangaalam Subbu the author
  • Koththamangalam%Sub bubu

Dear Mr.Gokul,

Your note, though brif has , has thrown open a fresh light on ‘Nyanam’ as a musical instrument. I am totally ignorant and cannot speak on this subject. But I am forwarding your post to a frtend of mine, who is a coloumn writer on Carnatic music and culture. H e could ellobarate on this topic of "Pari Nayanam parampariyam.

You have mentioed 'Kalaimani' as the author of “Thillana Mohanambal"/ I hope you are aware that it is a pen-name under whuch Koththamangalam Subbu wrote this novel as a serial in Anandavikatan.

Koththamangalam subbu was very humble. Many common people who were his contemporaries did not know that he was on the story-board for many years in leading cinema makers ' Gemini studio'. Box office hits like Chandraleka, Avvaiyar, Apurvasahothararkal, and Miss Malin. The last one was entirely a show by Koththamangalam Subbu, including script writing.

Few words about Apurva sahothararkal may not be out of place here. It was an inspiration from 'Corsican brothers' , a Novel written by Alexander Dumas about a princely Assamese twins, who were separated by surgery and compelled to live without knowing each other. the second born twin brother can feel all emotions whatever the first suffers, pleasant or unpleasant.

Koththamangalam Subbu , touched by Gandiji's assassination, wrote his biography in 'Nattuppadal style’ in Tamil and conduct on stage Harikatha Kalahepam, a two hour long session. It was very popular alll over Tamilnadu.

The cinema is very obviopd;y an apolgy of the original novel.

Thank you.

V.Kothanda Ramn
  • Dear Mr.Subbu,

I am ver happy that I am cmmuncating with a famjly meber of an esteemable
    versatile artist, whom I hold in admiration even this day.

I have and readSubbu. So ifelt sad when members were dicussing the cinema and
    not , few mentioned abot the book and "Kalaimani" and not the author behind the
    'Pen name Kalaimani'. So I wrote the following note from my memory

Please correct my errors and add yor amends inthe meeeting.
    I FEEL SORRY THAT I CANNOT ATTAEND THE MEETING DUE TO MY POOR MOBILITY.

V/Kothanda Ranan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters