Tripurantaka vadha
  • Hi,

This is Kumaraswamy, new member , and not very knowledgeable in these matters.

Can anyone suggest a good article or book on Iconography -temple architecture and silpasastra - an introduction for a layman.

Also, I hear different versions of Tripurasuras and their vadha by Siva including one about The three shifting religion to Buddhism under influence of Vishnu [ who came as the buddha avatar] as part of Vishnu leela to favor the devas.
    what was the boon and the condition for nullifying the boon given to the tripurasuras?

Some light on this from the members of this will be great help.

regs,

SK

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/
  • MOST WELCOME SIR.

VERY GOOD OPENING MAIL - RE ICONOGRAPHY !!

A MEETING IS ORGANISED THIS WEEK AT THAKKARBABA - TNAGAR, CHENNAI.

Re : I hear different versions of Tripurasuras and their vadha by Siva including one about The three shifting religion to Buddhism under influence of Vishnu [ who came as the buddha avatar] as part of Vishnu leela to favor the devas.

INFORMATION.. let us hear other views as well.

regards / sps
  • TOO GOOD.

Dear Vijay,

any thing re Vishnu - Buddha connections in this ?

rgds. sps

=======
  • In one version, one of the asuras is VAANAsura who becomes a kudamuzha player to shiva. Dealt with great excellence by Kudavoil (Book: Kudamuzha)

Gokul.S
  • " The fusion of the concept of dance of Siva and destruction of Tripuras and the overwhelming popularity of Nataraja by the close of 13th cent perhaps may be the reason for the decline in the production of Tripura Vijaya images in bronze during the succeeding centuries... "

- SO MUCH TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES !!

WONDERFUL.

sps

=========
  • as many of you know tripura vadham /vijayam estorically denotes the destruction of the 3 malam (dirt)-

1. anava malam
    2. kanma malam
    3. maaya malam..

and Shivan (nirguna brahmam) destroyed the three with his laugh / smile (the power of nyana )

other meanings include mummalam as

1. jaagrat (awake state)
    2. swapna (dream)
    3. Sushupti (deep sleep)

and shivan as mahakaalar destroyed the three states with his laugh (supreme bliss)to go to the Thureeyam state (dont know as to how to describe thureeyam as even avvaiyar calls it "sorpadham kadandha thuriya meinyaana....)

there may be some other meanings also assigned depending upon the saadhaka's school of thought or his knowledge level..

the above explanation was given to me by one of my teachers....
  • Hi,
    thank you all for guiding me on to some excellent links.
    while the "Antharartha" is dealt with I am still looking for the different versions of the mythological rendering of the same event.

Further to what I expressed I also remember, from my random readings, how Rishi Agastya was asked to drink up the water in these floating cities so that all three may come into one "kaksha" to deal with the shortage of water.

I hope more comments from the well informed will shed some more illumination.

Regds to all,

SK

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters