Chidambaram Tower/ entrance
  • Dear all

Can I please request the learned with wisdom and knowledge to kindly clarify the issue ....Sankar has said he saw a poster...But it may be interesting...

A lot of us wear our heart on our sleeves and shankar is one of them I guess...takes things to heart but does give in to reason as we saw in Chola Gazni interchange..

Venkat can you clarify

The Tower/Entrance please....or any of the other members for that matter..

kind regards

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

To: [email protected]
  • Hi sri

the main nataraja temple is surrounded by open space and an outer wall.
    in fact two outer walls in some places with the nandavanam in between

the gopurams- towers are on the outer wall

the main temple has only two entrances. east and west. north and south there are no entrances.

while there is no trace of a door on the north side we can clearly see a south entrance walled up.

since nandan is supposed to have entered thro this way it gave rise to a belief that caste concious deekshithars walled it up. thats the source of the agitation or roots of it.

chidambaram temple has gone thro all the travails of a rich medeival temple. been demolished and looted and rebuilt. and nandanar was earlier to thevaram times.so the issue has no relevance.

the discussion in the group was where the closed structure was.tower or main temple.

i think the primal rule of carpenters should be used when putting a mail in this group. MEASURE TWICE . CUT ONCE

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters