Ancient Migrations
  • Dear GRS

I do not deny the fact that Mankind had originated and evolved in Africa...Came toAsia....Went to China nad far east from India ...then crossed berring straits into Americas....

What I am saying is People move....That migration is 400,000 to 500,000 years ago....

The movement of Indus Valley people ! may be 4000 years or less

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

To: [email protected]
  • Dear Sri:
    I like to know the number of 4000 years that you use. Thanks. If my memory serves me right, I read that according to Christian scholars and dating of various lineages in the Bible, the earth was supposed to have been created around 4004 BC. With that as the back drop some of the earlier proponents of AIT or various flavors of AIT went about dating the Indus Valley Civilization.

So your 4000 years ago, takes us to only about 2000BC; where as there are several scholars who have dated Mahabharatam itself to around circa 1500 BC. {one example: http://oldthoughts.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/mahabharata-war-date-as-per-r-n-iyengar/}.

Other scholars believe (or give theories) about Vedas being older than that. So any movement would have to have happened quite earlier than 2000BC.
  • Hi
    anything that we have traces of, fire, the wheel, agriculture has happened after the last ice ace that ended about 10000 years ago

venketesh
  • the holocene calender is the most accepted chronology of human development

thats the period of human development after the last ice age was over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_calendar
  • If the arguments of some scholars hold good, then we will have to date some aspect of Indic culture even older than the Holocene period.

Here is one set of arguments that talk about the Sarawathi river: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1412629-SARASWATI-RIVER--A-MYTH-OR-A-REALITY

BTW, does anybody know how much land area was covered by the last ICE age? Corollary, being did it cover parts of India too?
  • >
    > BTW, does anybody know how much land area was covered by the last ICE age? Corollary, being did it cover parts of India too?

the higher reaches perhaps. but the oceans were further away . perhaps the entire continental shelf around india was land.

do you know there is a theory that there was a mini ice age in the 1500s.

v
    enketesh

>
    > regards,
    >
  • Its said to be circa 3500 BC but the seals found are not very clear.
    The prominent seal that has a figure surrounded by cattle has long been assumed as Shiva, but if it were, then the time line is challenging, if we were to assume that to be Krsna , then it makes sense (even geographically).

- R

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters