sequence of sambandar in madurai
  • Hi all
    i would like to get some authentic info on sambanda's trip to madurai.
    which competition came first and so on
  • I will go down - get the padigams and describe it in his own words.

reagrds

sankar
  • Dear Friends

I tried to give the sequence from thevaram.

1. Mangayarkarasi sends messengers to Sambandar and Sambandar starts from Chola Country. Appar warns him not to go as

a. The time was not good.
    b. The Jains of Madurai are more dangerous as Kanchi Jains.

2. sambandar ignores and sings " Kol Aru Thiruppadigam.

Gyayiru thingal.........Nalla nalla, 9, 8, 18, 6 days nalla nalla,  Buddarodu Amanari vendra Thiruneetrin semmai will save me. Leaves for madurai.

3. Enters Pandya Country. darshan at Pari's Piranmalai. ( Kodunkundram) - Sings

Budharodu Polla manach chamanar puram kura, baktharku arul seydan

4. Then darshan at Thirupputtur

5. Hearing that Sambandar is going to madurai, The jain scholars from Ennayirum reach madurai.

6. Near Anaimalai - sambandar convoy was attcked by jains and he esacapes that.

7. Mangayarkarasi meets Sambandar. She knew that he is young but surprsied to see a baby and feared that he cannot handle jains.

Sambandar Sang - manin Ner Vizhi madarai, vazhudikku maperundevi kel,
    Panalvay ( Pal+ Nal + Vai ie pal olugura vai, andha pal nal pal, ammayin pal - commentry by mahaswami- not mine) oru balan ingu ivan endru nee parivu eidedel. Anai malai adiyaya idangalil pal allal ser - ie inspite of may difficulties at Anaimalai, Lord saved me and he is with me.

Next - sandu senan, indu senan, dharuma senan ,karumai ser kandu senan, kanaka senan - mudalagiya peyar kola - mandi pola thirindu - ariyathodu sentamizh payan ariya - andagarku eliyen alan - thiruvalavayan. ( Sambandar actuially is mild here. Other wise it is Gundar, madayar etc)

Next archanai - kanaga nandi, Pushpa nandi, Pavana nandi, Kumanamahanandi, kunaganandi ,thivana nandi etc person could not realise the aran.

8. Then goes to Madurai temple. Prays

Veda Velviyai Nindanai Seyduzhal

adamilli amararai vadil vendru alikka thiruullame..

Full padigam is to win the jains who donot respect and critisise vedas.

Archanai - Vaidikatin vazhi Ozhugada, marai vazhkkamilada, Mapavigal, Parithalaikaiyar ( one who plucks their hair)Pai uduppar, Nin Porkkazhal pena amanar.

9. Stays in the mutt. Night the jains torch the mutt. sambandar says ( or sings - could not locate this padigam or is it in periyapuranam?can any one give me that)

" Let the fire " Panidiyarai paiyave sendru patruga" - meaning let the fire go and catch the Pandya mildly.

10. Pandiyan gets a severe burning sensation. No medicine helps. Jains try their best.
    Nothing happenning. Magayarkarasi requests the king to call sambandar. King agrees because of the pain. Sambandar comes and gives Vibudi. jains object stating that it has some special medicines and has some spl properties.

Sambandar then asks for the madurai temples kitchen ashes ( madappalli sambal)

Sings - mandiramavadu Neeru .... and smears on one side of the king. The other side was tried by the jains. King feels cool on the sambandar side and asks him to smear on the other part also. That was also done and miraculusly his hunch also was healed. Koon pandiyan becomes Nindra seer Nedumaran.

11. Jains did not accept their defeat. They ask him for a tough competition. If Sambandar loses he should become jain and if jains loose, they will kill themselves by Kaluverudal.

12. first Punal vadam. Both Jains and Sambandar put their suvadis in Vaigai. ( sambandar put thirunallaru padigam - Bogamartha Poon mulaiyal...) jains suvadi went with river towards sea. Sambandars suvadi went against the flow. Reached a place where a bilva tree and lingam was found. Sambandar called that place as Edu agam and sings a padigam.

13. then Anal vadam. Both put their song in fire. Jain's was burnt. Sambandar put " Valga Anadanar" padigam. This suvadi was not burnt. ( hence called "Pachai " Padigam)

14. Now Kings declares Sambandar's supremacy. Jains as agreed go for kaluverudal. sambandar asks them not to do. But the Jains insist and die. ( Mahaswami says that they want to keep their satyam)

15. Then sambandar opens the Thirupparamkundram temple closed by jains. ( ie King orders opening and sambandar sings a padigam).

16. then Appanur, Thiruchuli ( padigam missing), nelveli, Kutralam, Poovanam, Rameswaram, kanapper, adanai, Punavail.. back to chila nadu - Kollampudur.
  • Hi shanker

that was most useful thank you
    i am writing a piece of fiction on this and i got the sequence wrong
    i had the punal vaatham preceding the arson in his madm
    better late than never, i'll change it or ( should i take a chance?
    )

venketesh
  • Dear venkat

wait for people who are well versed in periyapuranam.

all credit goes to the Muslim cleric who initiated me in this. Hewas the main moulvi of a mosque in Trichy- tanjore road ( 20 years back)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters