what do we 'really' know about Rajaraja?
  • Hi all
    with madhu's infective enthusiasm catching on to all of us, i think its time we create a realistic biography of one of the greatest tamilians ever- rajaraja.
    rajaraja has one distinction- very regrettable indeed- the fiction to reality ratio. for somebody like him about whom more than 10,000 pages have been written in fiction( ponniyin selvan to raja kesari, kaviri mainthan to udayar and so many more) we can summarise all his facts in one A4 sheet. ( now with madhu coming up with 48 of his names perhaps 2 A4 sheets)
    i request experts in the group who have been witnesses to the inscriptions regarding RRc to list in this thread all details gathered so that it would be easy for someone to create a charecter map of the man we all have come to love more than revere.

venketesh
  • Dear Venkat,

Kalingabalu's mail on chola geneology ::

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ponniyinselvan/message/12379

Our member R Satheeshkumar - has recorded in his blog the details contained at Rajaraja Manimandabam - Thanjavur ::

Names of Rajaraja : keralandagan - pandia kulanasini - chatru bayankaran- jananathan etc. etc.

His wives' names.

Taxes system

weaponary used

irrigation canals

provinces conquered :: Maps of RRC Kingdom
    Maps of RjC Empire

these are put on exhibition by the State Government

Re Books ( a few)

Of course - The Colas by KAN Sastry
    Chozhar varalaru by Pandarathar
    - do - by Maa Rasamanickanar (f/o Kalaikkovan )
    (his Pallava varalaru is authority todate)
    Prior to 8th World Tamil Conference - State Govt brought out a book on Tamil nadu History - Dr. Kalaikovan was also a member.

The Cholas by N Sethuraman... Only specific area dealt with

SR Balasubramanian brought out books on Chola temples - prior to RRC -RRC - RjC - his sons - Kulothunga to RRC II..

( His son (Late)Sri B Natarajan (GM / S Rly) brought out exclusively on Chidambaram - Thillai - widely quoted during Dasavatharam !
    His other son Sri B Venkataraman has brought an exclusive volume on Rajarajeswaram )

Some ASI personnel broughtout privately books on Rajarajeswaram

Kudavoil Dr. Balu's book on Thanjavur

There are some publications exclusively on Rajaraja also... but less authoritative).. Such a lovely volume is avl on Rajendra I.

I am sure more than 50 research- papers have been submitted related to the bigtemple.

Dr. Nagaswamy's exclusive papers - like the Concept of Space (re the big temple) submitted at Philepdelphia Universtity..

Apart from these Prefaces in the SI volumes etc. do exist.

Madhu - if able to bring them under an umbrella - that would be a great service.

regards/ sps

====================

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters