Kalki and Rashomon effect
  • Dear all
    Was seeing the movie Vantage point and it was similar to Virumaandi in unravelling the story. Its supposed to be akin to Kurasawa's Rashamon
    It just occured to me that Kalki had adopted to that style of story telling even in PS...be it the Ponniyin Selvan episode....Beheading of Veerapandiyan episode( AK version, Periya pazhuvettarayar version Alvar Kaniyan version, ravidasan version and Nandhini version) killing of Aditya again unravels well atleast attempts to unravel in that fashion...
    Am I imagining or has anyone else felt like taht as well
    Sri
  • Roshoman to me is much different from Vantage point and other set of movies.
    Roshman is narrated by three characters who were involved in a event. The same event is repeated by each person with a small twist to satisfy their ego and not look like looser before others.
    Vantage point each viewer has seen something that other has not seen (read the story not seen the movie),no body twist the event to gain something.
    Probably Virumandi is bit close to Roshomons style but there also Kamal's version is the true version of the events... But Roshomon all three characters tell a story to suit their ego(finally a fourth character tells the true story in the climax!)
    All the movies (including Andha Naal - Shivaji being murdered and each character turns out to be suspect narrate the story) have been inspired by the screen play technique of different people narrating it. But the true essence and philospohy of the movie has not been captured by any other movie!

Roshomon movie is available for free online(its out of copy right)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3611257047604037409&hl=en
  • agatha christie used this method often.

in one book I think 'hercule poirot's christmas' she has every body's version of a murder told to the local inspector( all of which seem out of question to detective poirot) and finally the only version remaining is of the inspector himself and the evidence points to him.

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters