Thirukkadayoor
  • Hello all, is there any info in archives on this temple and its history? I have a family member who is having a sadabhishekam done there and want to understand the temple history. I only know about the story of Abirami Andhandhi. Also why is this temple famous for sadabhishekams, anyone knows?

Thank you,

Malathi
  • Hi Malathi,
    That one is my favourite temple and every year i will be visiting it. The story behind is there at http://kayalsworld.blogspot.com/2009/01/happy-new-year-trip-details.html
    I have told the entire story behidn the temple. please do check it out. 
    RegardsKayal
  • VERY NICE ...
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH..

THERE IS ONE MRITHYUNJAYA YANTHRAM ESTABLISHED IN THIS TEMPLE - BEHIND KALASAAMHARA MURTHY ..

SIMILARLY FOR SHRI VAISHNAVITES - THIRUVELLAKKULAM @ ANNAN KOIL - IS CONSIDERED AUSPICIOUS FOR GRANTING MORE LONGIVITY .. !

THIS IS ALSO PART OF SWETHARANYAM (THIRUVALANGADU)..
    WITH SWETHA RAJAN - SWETHA PUSHKARANI DETAILS...

BIRTH PLACE OF KUMUDAVALLI NACHIAR W/O THIRUMANGAI !

regards / sps
  • > > Hi Malathi,
    > > That one is my favourite temple and every year i will be visiting it. The story behind is there at?http://kayalsworld.blogspot.com/2009/01/happy-new-year-trip-details.html
    > > I have told the entire story behidn the temple. please do check it out.?
    > > RegardsKayal

Hi all

thirukadayoor is also my favourite temple.
    i have been visiting it every pournami day for the last 14 years. i was there last week.
    i was also there on the day of the tsunami( which happened to be a pournami)
    thiruikadayoor is very close to karaikal where the tsunami hit.
    i also visit the temple on thai ammavasai day ( thats when the new moon became the full moon) every year.
    for a decade i used to spend the new years day there.

we have lots of temples around thirukadaiyoor which we have discussed .
    kadavur mayana behind the temple is how the un modernised temple must have looked.
    member rahul dinakaran is an ardent devotee of that temple.
  • Also why is this temple famous for sadabhishekams, anyone knows?

> Malathi

Hi Malathi

abirami andadi is a much more recent phenomenon
    serfoji maharaja witnessed it.

thirukadayoor is also the home place of kungaliya nayanar one of the 63 nayanmars.

sadabishekams and shashtithapurthis are done there mainly because of the markandeya legend and the amirtha legend.
    the amrit that was churned from the parkadal reportedly became the lingam here.
    also ganesha reportedly hid the pot of nectar in the temple pond.

is it not enough for somebody celebrating his or her birthday.

venketesh

>
  • Thank you Kayal. I knew Markandeya's story but no idea it was associated with this temple. Venkat, was the temple built during Sarfoji Maharajas' time or was it earlier?

Thank you

Malathi

-
  • Hi Maloo-

the thirukadavur temple is very ancient.sung in the devaram by all three.
    mentioned in silapathigaram as home town of mathavi

one of the eight veerattanams
    2 nayanmars born here kumgaliyan and kari
    regarding markandeya- he visited 108 temples totally to escape his curse. this was the last.

the cholas, pandyas and some jaffna kings contributed to the construction
    its a huge temple and owned by the dharmapura aatheenam.

thousands of kalvettu al around the temple.

came into serfoji control much later i guess.

venketesh
  • Hi Friends,

Kayal is a colleague of mine and is working at Bangalore. :) Initially she had been shy to post or answer on our groups. Looks like she has gotten rid of her inhibition. Good beginning Kayal.
  • Dear Vinjamoor venkatesh

Thirukadavur Amrita narayana perumal temple is a vaishnavite temple in thirukadavur.
    is it a divya desam??

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters