Questions about Nilakesi (Naga Nandhi)
  • Hi All,

I have a small question about the character Naga Nandhi in Sivagamiyin sabatham, by Amar Kalki. Is that character real?  Please point me to mail numbers if this query is has been already handled.

Thanks & Rgds.,

Shiv
  • Thanks Vj Sir.,

Thanks & Rgds.,

Shiv
  • .though his
    > character was much developed in SS, the prequel or sequel however you
    > call it, PK - showed him more like a sorcerer / boochandi
    >
    > rgds
    > vj

Hi Vj

beg to differ VJ
    am working on nagandhis charecter for some time.
    is a masterpiece of kalki just like nandhini.
    can you spot six common points between them?
    perhaps more.

of royal birth acting as commoner,
    another person like her and impersonifcation,
    association wit a snake
    maintaining celibacy

regarding the transition of naga nandhi to kaapalikan of parthiban kanavu there is a logical switch over.
    nagandhi tells ranjani the kapalikai inthe last few scenes he has been expelled by the buddha sangha
    also a scene in the kaapaalika hill with the sacrificial altar is given importance in that scene.

venketesh
  • Venkat, fascinating question, 6 common points

- both are born with twins
    - both suffer love failures or one sided love (although was Nandini in love with AK, we have debated several times)
    - both are celibate
    - powerful behind the scene players

Am not sure of royal birth acting as a commoner - Naganandhi was, perhaps when did Nandini 'act as a commoner'? I think Naganandhi was much more developed, well rounded character as they would say in literary criticism (now like Pavithra if I get started on my beloved SS i will go on a while..) Nandini was the loose end of PS with many unclear/controversies around her.

Waiting to hear more,
    Malathi
  • >
    > beg to differ VJ

Dear Venkat

I think you did not get me right. I said, Naga nandhi was beautifully developed in SS, but in PK - he was not.
  • SS: Naganandhi/Neelakesi was young, active, love-struck and driven by
    missionary zeal;
    PK: He was a spent force, old, deserted by all near and dear, and had
    not achieved anything he had set out for!
    Sampath
  • , fascinating question, 6
    common points
    > - both are born with twins

wonderful maloo
    I never correlted that

> Am not sure of royal birth acting as a commoner - Naganandhi was, perhaps when did Nandini 'act as a commoner'?

hey have you forgotten your PS
    nandini grows up as an underdog in the palace and kundavai torments her
    then she goes to live with a poor bramhin family.

then goes around the country singing praises of krishna.

venketesh

I think Naganandhi was much more developed, well rounded character as they would say in literary criticism (now like Pavithra if I get started on my beloved SS i will go on a while..) Nandini was the loose end of PS with many unclear/controversies around her.
    >
    > Waiting to hear more,
    > Malathi
    >
  • >
    > I think you did not get me right. I said, Naga nandhi was beautifully developed in SS, but in PK - he was not.
    >

Hi vijay
    we still do not know which story was conceived earlier by kalki though parthiban kanavu was published earlier.

but then have you noticed the greatest event in siruthondar( paranjothi's) life is not his victory at vathapi but the event where he sacrifices his son to feed a kapalika who happens to be shiva.
    the event is to be presumed to ave happened in the inter period of ss and pk.
    perhaps kalki was planning something else???

venketesh
  • Dear Venkatesh
          Sivagamiyin Sabatham and Kalvanin Kathali were the screen plays by Kalki written in 1935 to be played on stage or for cinema. Kalvanin Kathali got the chance for cinema. SS was first played as drama telecasted from Trichi Vanoli from 21.5.1941, after some 6 years. The interesting matter is, in the written script given for telecasting, the important character Naganandhi, his venomous thoughts, plans, incidents were not written.
         Naganandhi was created and developed only when the story was published from the New year Issue of Kalki , 1944.
         The foundation of PK and SS would have  born in Kalki's mind during his visitto Mamallapuram in the summer of 1934 as he written in his 'Swapnalogam'.
         But, as you know, Writers, especially Kalki  was always an incredible human with enormous memory, different ways of observations and thinking. We cannot judge which came first and second to his mind.
    For example, his first  journey in a ship from  Bombay to Karachi in 1931and what he observed during the journey reflected in PS also. 
         Please add these small informations to your research and further discussions, if it useful.
  •      >> Sivagamiyin Sabatham and Kalvanin Kathali were the screen plays by Kalki written in 1935 to be played on stage or for cinema.

>>Kalvanin Kathali got the chance for cinema.

a book that I loved.

in 1935 the heroine asks the hero " namma Odipoyiralaamaa?" a trend that we saw in tamil cinema in the 80s
    ( i remember manivannan in one cinema where he says on this 'odi poyiralaamaa?' concept.
    the cinema she says shows only till the running away , not after. reason romba alukaachaayirukkum")

but kalki was surely a man before his times

Naganandhi was created and developed only when the story was published from the New year Issue of Kalki , 1944.

i cant imagine a SS without naganandhi,like Ps without nandhini

Thanks Vishwak Sir for your clarification.

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters