Polonnaruwa
  • Polonnaruwa Sri Lanka's medieval capital was established as the city of the land in 11th century A.D. Polonnaruwa replaced Anuradhapura as the capital city of Sri Lanka, Because of the invasion of south India. It was the capital of Sri Lanka from 11 AD to 13 AD (according to "Mahavamsa", a Sinhala historical book, written by a Sinhala poet to praise a Sinhala King, "Thutta Kaimunu").
    The temples in the images were built during that period.
    Give me some time for more details.
    Vijayalayan

PS: Mr. Krupa pls give me some time.......... don't give fail marks.
  • Dear Krupa!
    I wrote about the place "Polannaruwa" also with the heading "Part 2 Chapter 8" on 30-04-2003 to the PS group.
    Anyway..........
    Polannaruwa (It is situated in Sinhala area) is a Sinhala name for the Pulasthiya-naharam as mentioned in PS. Nowadays it is called as Polannaruvai in Tamil.
    It is the Chola Kings who changed the capital from Anuradhapura to Polannaruwa as they could easily access that area from Tamil dominated North-East part of the island. The events related to those changes are mentioned in PS.
    any more doubts?...............

anpudan,
    Vijayalayan

"polonnaruwa"-va? "anuradhapura" purigiradhu... idhu enna "aruvaa"?
    a thamizh king selected this name? this is a Sinhala name?
  • Hi Krupa!
    It is not the Tamil Kings named that place as "Polannaruwa". But, the Sinhalese later changed the name as Polonnaruwa.
    Not only that........
    Nowadays they are changing several Tamil names (of the places) to Sinhala names to hide the history of Tamils in this island (it is a big story) and .................... hmmmmmmmmm.
    Vijayalayan
  • Dear all...

Vijayalayan...those photos were really good. I've been following your series
    on SL with great interest. Please go on with Pulasthiya Nagaram!

And welcome to Jana and Pothis.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters