Visit - Roja Muthiah research library
  • Hi All,

On the 11th August, this library was visited by me and Madan in the afternoon around 2pm. Its really an interesting place for people who have specific interests and topics to read and research on. Articles from Dr.Jaybee are proof about the extent of material available there.

The following are the things of note from our visit there:
    1. We had offered to help and contribute based on requests from the library.
    2. Currently the library is being funded by American University grants and hence would require a good amount of participation, funding to provide for sustained support from local universities and research institutions.
    3. Any contributions in terms of books are welcomed by the library and the library has been receiving contributions for quite some time now.
    4. Anybody is welcomed to spend hours and days in the library except that books are not given for borrowing.

We were not able to meet the director as he had gone out of station.We had spent almost two hours there looking at just one book(South Indian - Dravidian style Temple architectures - printed by an American Univeristy). Madan can provide the details of this book.

I would like to suggest that members do followup on this visit and probably involve ourselves in assisting the running of this institution.
  • > On the 11th August, this library was visited by me and Madan in
    the afternoon around 2pm. Its really an interesting place for people
    who have

Very good initiative Nanda & Madan. Keep it up.
  • The book, that nanda was talking about was about south indian temple
    architecture (Pennsylvania university press)... I must have 'wow'ed at least
    a couple of hundred times looking at the two volumes... wow ;)

and Nanda came out with a statement that still haunts me. We were looking at
    a picture of a 7-8 century stone-scoop temple, and he said... that around
    the times when europeans and americans were these fighting each other (like
    real crude and uncivilized), india had a much finer and sophisticated
    civilization... and I go thinking.... what are we are today?

The library has a copy of (maybe not all though) the kalki magazine during
    the time PS was first written - I especially love the maniam pictures and
    the old-horlicks kinda ads in that ;) They do provide microfilm/cd copies on
    request (for a fee). Am thinking we should get a cd of the PS pages in what
    they have... looks like asking for some specific pages might require special
    permission - that I hope to get... what do you guys think about the idea?
  • Madan,

I would have joined you if had informed about the visit. Please inform beforehand if you are planning any visit.
  • Madan Kadangara,

you told me that you will call me on friday and we three can go to
    the library. I was waiting for your call and when I didnt receive
    any, I thought the plan was dropped. sollama kollama poyitu
    vandhuteenga....too bad.
  • Probably they dont have books to quench the apetite of people who
    have such names. Satish Kumar's are always a step ahead... :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters