Madras day is celebrated on August 22nd.
The events mentioned below taken and formatted from
Thanks to Vijay on providing the link and details.
Historical Events at a Glance
- Madras founded .
- The English get Madras Patnam from Ayyapa Naicker.
- Francis Day and Cogan landed with 25 Europeans.
- Foundation laid for Fort St.George.
1668 Triplicane annexed to the city.
1678 Foundation laid for St. Mary’s Church in Fort St. George.
1679 St.Mary’s Church Completed.
1688 Madras City Municipal Corporation inaugurated.
1693 Egmore, Purasawalkam and Tondiarpet annexed to the City.
1708 Thiruvottiyur, Nungambakkam, Vyasarpady, Kottivakkam and Sathangadu – Five neighbouring Villages annexed; wall built around Black Town.
1711 First Printing Press erected in Madras.
1735 Chintadripet was formed.
1742 Veperi, Perimet, Perambur and Pudupakkam annexed to the city.
1746 The French return Madras to the English;Santhome and Mylapore annexed to the City.
1758 French Commander Lawly siege Madras.
1759 French siege ended.
1767 Hyder Ali’s first invasion.
1768 Chepauk palace built by Nawab of Arcot.
1769 Hyder Ali’s Second invasion.
1777 Veerappillai appointed as First Kotthawal-Hence the name Kotthawal Chavadi.
1783Fort St. George repaired and attains the present shape.
1784 The First Newspaper Â–Madras Courier.
1785 First Post Office.
1795 Triplicane Big Mosque-Walajah Mosque built.
1817 Madras Literary Society founded.
1826 Board of Public Instructions founded.
- First Commercial Bank Â–Madras Bank.
- First Census in the City Population 39,785.
1832 Madras Club founded.
1834 First Survey School inaugurated – Later developed as Engineering College.
1835 First Medical College – Later became Madras Christian College.
1841 Ice House was built – Ice brought from America through ships was stored here; Later named as Vivekananda House.
1842 First Light House.
1846 Pachaiappan School; Later Pachaiappa’s College.
1851 Museum formed
1853 Zoo formed.
1855 University Board formed.
1856 First Railway Â–Royapuram to Arcot.
1857 Madras University founded.
1864-65 Presidency College built.
1868 Attempt to protected water supply.
- First Birth Registered.
- Madras Mail Newspaper founded.
- Cosmopolitan Club founded.
1874 University Senate house built.
1876-78 Great Famine – Buckingham Canal dug.
1878 The Hindu Newspaper founded.
1882 First Telephone.
1885 Marina Beach Road formed.
- Indian National Congress Meet at Madras.
- Connemera Public Library founded.
1889 High Court Building foundation laid.
1894 First Car – Mr. A.J. Boag, Director of Parry & Co,drove the Car on City Roads.
1895 First Tram Car.
1899 First Tamil Newspaper-Swadesamitran.
1905 Port Trust formed.
- Indian Bank founded.
- King Institute, Guindy founded.
- Water mains and drainage formed.
- Street lights introduced.
- Kilpauk water works inaugurated.
- Endon bombardment – Endon German fighter Vessel bombarded the sea shore and disappeared – First World War.
- First Aeroplane;
- Simpson & Co., arranged for the trial flight.
1924 School of Indian Medicine.
- Loyola College
- First Bus Transport.
1930 First Broadcasting Station founded at Ripon Buildings Complex.
1934 First Mayor – Raja Sir. Muthiah Chettiyar
1938 All India Radio formed and broadcasting from Ripon Buildings ceased.
1942 Second World War – Evacuation of Madras.
1943 Japanese Fighter Plane dropped bombs on City and disappeared.
- Mambalam, Saidapet, Govt. Farm, Puliyur, Kodambakkam, Saligramam, Adayar and Alandur Villages which formed part of Saidapet Municipality were annexed to the city.
- Sembiyam, Siruvallur, Peravallur, Small Sembarambakkam and Ayanavaram which formed part of Sembium Panchayat Board were annexed to the city.
- Aminjikarai, Periyakudal, Maduvankarai Villages which formed part of Aminjikarai Panchayat Board were annexed.
- Part of Velacheri Village belonging to Velacheri Panchayat Board was also annexed to the city.
1947 Indian National Flag Hoisted over Fort. St. George.
1952 Nehru Stadium.
1959Guindy Children’s Park.
1969 World Tamil Congress.
1971 Snake Park.
1972 Madras Metropolitan Development Authority.
1973 Madras Corporation Superceded.
- Rajaji Mandap.
- Madras Television Centre.
- Kamaraj Mandap.
- Valluvar Kottam.
1976 New Light House.
- Madras Metropolitan Water supply and Sewage Board
- Kanagam, Taramani, Thiruvanmiyur, Velacheri, Kodambakkam, Virugambakkam, Saligramam, Koyambedu, Thirumangalam, Villivakkam, Errukancheri, Kolathur, Kodungaiyur Panchayat areas annexed to the City;
- Madras reaches the present stage.
1983 Zoo shifted to Vandalur.
- Periyar Science Park
- Birla Planetarium.
- Madras Corporation’s Tri-centenary.
- Decentralisation of Administration.
- 10 Circles formed.